Tools of the koo-ki-nuts trade

The tools I use, to create and construct the assortment of koo-ki-nuts goodies, are a mixture of high tech and (very) low tech instruments. Here's a selection of some of my more essential tools (minus my sewing machine, because you saw that in my last post)...

Collage of the different tools used to create koo-ki-nuts goodies

  1. Luke Nguyen bamboo chopsticks (low-tech) - Used for stuffing wadding into the tiniest of spots... like the pointy ears of koo-ki-nuts owl rattles.
  2. IKEA scissors (low-tech) - Used for cutting everything textile related. I like them because they are big and heavy, and sharp... and they only cost me $7.99!
  3. Guillotine (low-tech) - Surprisingly, one of the best things my dad has ever bought me! I use it nearly everyday. It cuts all my cards, labels, flyers, packaging etc
  4. A bit of plastic (low-tech) - I used this 'bit of plastic' to create a template for measuring where to put the press stud on each koo-ki-nuts rattle. It's VERY handy and is used a lot!!
  5. The Mac (hi-tech) - My precious ♥ Now this is a tool that is used every day without fail! All my designs start here. I'm not big on freehand drawing. I can 'copy' something freehand (my mum was a sign-writer and I appear to have inherited this skill. As a kid I would copy things like the Milo logo, Nike tick, characters off my Ren & Stimpy boxer shorts!)... but I can't create things freehand. That only seems to happen on the computer for me. (However, I do use a tablet sometimes... go figure!)
  6. Silhouette Cameo (hi-tech) - This machine plugs into the Mac and I use it to cut my own designs (for the mobiles I'm working on) out of scrapbooking paper. It does loads of other cool stuff that I'm yet to try. 
  7. Pins! (low-tech) - Sometimes I'm just plain lazy and I don't pin (which can lead to skew-iff cutting!), however, my mum introduced me to patchwork pins, and I prefer these because they're longer than average pins. Simply, I find them easier to work with. And... they come in big packs!
So there you have it! Some of the key tools I use to create lots of different koo-ki-nuts products.