'The' TOYOTA

Following on from my last post, I thought I'd better share a pic of my trusty TOYOTA sewing machine! Ta-daaaa...
Toyota sewing machine
Oh what a feeling! TOY-OTA (hehehehe)
Sexy isn't it!

I did a little research on the internet to see if TOYOTA still make sewing machines, and apparently they do. In my searching I came across this simply gorgeous pic of an apparent orange version. How retro!! And, even better - you could actually own this machine! I know you're a bit excited about that... C'mon. Don't try and hide it! (hehe)
Orange Toyota sewing machine
Own this machine!
http://www.dinkos.com.au/Toyota+sewing+machine-1189370.htm
Anywhooo, moving right along.

After I made the four beetle bugs from the Softies book (if you don't know what I'm talking about, read my previous post, From little things...) I'd gained enough of an understanding of how to put something together, and I had the urge to design my own quirky (or even kooky) critter; but first, I wanted a more modern sewing machine! However, I didn't want to pay a lot because I didn't know how much I would really end up using it; so when I came across a cheap little Elna I grabbed it. 

Now, I am almost too embarrassed to show you a pic (I am laughing while I type this!)... but i will, because it really goes to show that you don't need any fancy equipment to create cool stuff! Here's my little baby in all her hot pink and orange glory!
Elna sew fun sewing machine (pink, orange and white) - koo-ki-nuts are made on this
How could sewing be anything but fun on a
machine called 'SEW FUN"!?
So (no pun intended), I had my machine all ready to go and I was bursting with enthusiasm to create something great! I sat down at my computer and drew three pretty cool owls (in Adobe Illustrator). I chose one, made an allowance for seams, and traced my drawing onto interfacing to create and cut my own pattern. I pinned my pattern pieces onto calico and felt - snipped it, stitched it, and created my first prototype (I didn't want to risk wasting any of my good fabric if it didn't turn out well!). To my absolute amazement, it worked. And, it was sooo cute! My mum was so proud of me for making my own pattern, let alone creating my very own unique softie. Now I wanted to make one for someone...

I had met my 13 year old niece for the first time only a few months before, and we had been chatting via Facebook. I decided the first owl I'd make would be for her. I asked her to pick two colours, of which she chose blue and green. I took my time to co-ordinate blue and green fabrics, then I whipped him up and posted him to her. She just loved him, and of course still has him today :)  (You can see a pic of her owl on the koo-ki-nuts Facebook page.) The only difference with Jaz's owl is that it doesn't have a koo-ki-nuts label, because I hadn't even considered having a 'name' on my creations back then! That's another story.

I've gone onto create many other designs since then, and my besty Chantelle has also provided me with a few (namely a bird-ee and the very popular bunn-ee). Interestingly, I only ever made up two of the three original owls I designed.

I'm keen to make my next post about 'tools of the koo-ki-nuts trade', because when I actually sit down and look at what I use to make my creations... some of the items are just a little ridiculous! Let's just say there's both high-tech and loooow-tech tools. I hope that when I write this post it will inspire some of you to go forth and create!

Until next time...