A while ago I created a design for a hanging mobile, where each mobile would have 3 birds, a bird house and a branch, cut out of clear acrylic and backed with fabulous papers. And this part of the plan went without a hitch! Today was the day I would make the magic happen... and I failed miserably.
I started out excitedly by co-ordinating my papers for 5 mobiles, and cutting all the pieces out. (I did not do this by hand! I cheated and used a die-cutter. :) I was pretty impressed at this stage. I loved how bright and colourful they were together.
![]() |
| One set of acrylic mobile pieces, with paper backing |
So, then I was left with 25 acrylic shapes, that I'd already covered with papers. I wracked my brain to think of other ways I could use them. Wall art, somehow? They'd look silly framed because each shape has a little hanging hole; and just because my new creation would be the result of an accident... I didn't want it to look that way! So, I held my twigs against a wall with all the pretty colourful shapes dangling on the light coloured wall.... and it looked good! I took a few of the shapes off and left just a bird and a branch at one end. And, that looked good too! So maybe my mobile shapes can be saved after all. Perhaps I can turn these into personalised hanging name plates for kiddies rooms? I've seen a similar sort of idea with vinyl wall decals.
Here's a semi mock up of what I'm thinking...
![]() |
| Idea for kids room personalised name plate |
![]() |
| Close up of bird and branch.... and Jason's fingers! |
![]() |
| Papered acrylic pieces, now destined to become personalised name plate wall hangings! |
I think these can definitely work, and be cute! It will just depend on whether anybody would want them? I probably have enough shapes to make about 12.
I'm not giving up on making a hanging mobile either. I've decided I'm going to get the shapes cut out of wood instead, because it looks great and has more of a 'presence' in the air! But... we'll see!
I hope you've all had a great weekend.
I'm not giving up on making a hanging mobile either. I've decided I'm going to get the shapes cut out of wood instead, because it looks great and has more of a 'presence' in the air! But... we'll see!
I hope you've all had a great weekend.




